Saturday, April 21, 2012

Egg Beaters Frittata

My WW leader loves Egg Beaters.  She talks about all the different things you can do with them all the time.  I've never been a big egg person, so using this as a substitute doesn't bother me.  Up until recently, I just made scrambled eggs with them.  I'd throw in some cheese, and it was a low point breakfast.  Then I started getting a little more creative. I'd saute some veggies and mix them in.  Then I started putting the whole thing in half a lavash.  It made a breakfast wrap for only one extra point.



I decided to do some investigation, and see what other things I can make, using this easy egg substitute.  I found myself on the Egg Beaters website, where there are a ton of different categories of recipes.   I'm definitely going to try some of the other recipes.  I love trying new things for breakfasts, either quick things to grab during the week, or more intricate things when I have more time on the weekends.

I've heard about putting omelets/eggs in the oven before, to finish cooking through a dish.  I didn't realize how much volume it would add to the meal!  The dish was easily twice as thick and fluffy than had I cooked it on the stovetop alone.  It's definitely something I'm going to have to try again.

Egg Beaters Frittata
idea based on Chicken Broccoli Frittata

makes 2 servings
5 points+ each
Contains 1 veggie and 1 oil GHG per serving

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup diced tomato
1/3 cup diced onion
1 cup broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1.5 oz cooked turkey bacon
salt, to taste
1 cup Egg Beaters original
1/2 cup FF cheddar cheese

Preheat broiler to high.



Heat oven safe skillet, and pour in oil.  Once the skillet is hot, put in garlic.  Personally, I like my garlic a little chunkier than minced, so I tend to cut it into bigger pieces.  If you would prefer minced, go for it.  Cook garlic for about a minute, until it starts to get a golden color.

When the garlic is ready, mix in the rest of the veggies.  I covered mine for a minute so that the broccoli could cook a little faster.  Cook the veggies for 2-3 minutes, then toss in the bacon and cook for another minute.  At this point you can add any salt, or seasoning that you want to try.  Pour in the Egg Beaters, and cover.  Cook for about 9 minutes, on low heat, until the frittata begins to set.

Sprinkle the cheese on top, and put your pan under the broiler.  Cook for about 2-3 minutes, until eggs are completely cooked.

Tips for next time:  I think adding peppers into it will add a lot of flavor.  I also think I would cut back on the amount of broccoli, as while it was good, it was overpowering in some bites.  I might also cook some of the cheese inside, and put some on top, rather than all of it on the top.  Another thing was that I didn't spray the whole pan.  While the olive oil adds great flavor, I definitely need to use nonstick spray across the sides to prevent sticking.

All in all, both Dan and I really like the recipe.  It was a great, low-point, filling breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment