Sunday, April 22, 2012

Donuts!

I love to bake.  I would bake treats every day of the week if I could.  Dan gets mad if I bake too much, because he says he can't control himself around my baked goods.

Dan had a few points left, so I asked if he wanted me to bake him donuts.  They are a quick go to dessert.  I use this recipe from Emily Bites,  but we leave off the frosting.  It comes to just 2 points+ per donut, for a delectable baked chocolate treat!

I was on a roll, so I decided to see what other recipes I could bake.  I looked through my pinterest, to see what other donut recipes I had pinned.  I found one, but looking at the ingredients, I realized that I could make that quite a bit more WW friendly.  Cutting back on some of the ingredients, and adapting some subsitutions, and I came out with a treat of my own.

Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts
recipe adapted from King Arthur's Baked Doughnuts

makes 6 servings
2 points+ per donut

Ingredients:
1/2 cup white whole wheat pastry flour
2 T sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 T nonfat vanilla yogurt
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
2 T natural applesauce
2 T skim milk

cinnamon
sweet and low (or other desired sweetener)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients until fully blended.  Add remaining ingredients until thoroughly mixed.

Using a spoon, spread the mixture evenly over 6 donuts cavities.  I did this by putting two spoonfuls in each cavity, and then spreading it evenly across the whole thing, careful to leave the space in the middle.  

Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool for several minutes before removing from the pan.

Combine sweet and low and cinnamon to taste.  I used 8 packets of sweetener, and 1 tsp cinnamon.  Dip both sides each donut in the mixture, and enjoy!




Tips for next time:  Maybe cut up a small apple to mix in.  They were deliciously moist, and there is definitely room to add some different flavors.  Banana or more vanilla could work as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment